Tuesday 2 July 2013

...In spite of Hope and Focus

Over the years, two words have come to have special meaning to me: 'Hope' and 'Focus' - the one because of the difference it has made to my attitude, the other because of the difference it has made to my results.

For the greater part of my life my default mindset has been one of negativity - not being able to imagine the possibilities, to visualize the future I longed for, always expecting that life would somehow be unfair to me and that the world would conspire to bring me defeat......that's until I learnt, by experience, the difference that hope makes.

In those early, dark days I became a participant observer in the beginning stages of my mental metamorphosis. I watched as the hope of a promotion (a significant career move) changed my outlook, my picture of the future, my own little self-sufficient world view. No, I didn't get the desired promotion but for a brief moment hope buoyed my spirit and I knew then and there that I had crossed a mental chasm to which I had no desire to return. Such is the potency of hope.

Then there is my other favourite word: focus. I learnt early on, the necessity of narrowing my focus so as to broaden my influence and strengthen my impact. Marketers know the value of the focus strategy to building a presence, targeting and capturing entire market segments. Breaking big tasks into small, manageable pieces and focusing on each small task a little at a time, not only increases the likelihood of getting the task done, but more often than not, improves the quality of the output. Focus increases interest, familiarity, expertise, and consequently, results.

But as important as hope is (in the words of Rick Page), hope is not a strategy. And even though focus trumps hope in terms of bringing desired results, focus requires appropriately aligned activities to be effective. Hope ignites a fire. You have to be intentional about keeping it lit. Focus brings potential into full view but only intense, intentional, properly aligned activities have the power to bring to fruition the desired results....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Being Happily Discontented

  "Live your life each day  as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance towards the summit  keeps the goal in mind, But...