Saturday 12 October 2013

A Place of Passion and Purpose

When Pastor Rick Warren wrote his book "Why on earth am I here", it struck a chord with millions. It asked a question that many of us have found ourselves asking for years....with no answer. "What is my purpose, what mission was I born to fulfill....yes, why on earth am I here?" We've heard it told many times that in order to answer these questions we must first find out what our talents are, what it is that  ignites a fire in our souls, what keeps us up all night......thinking, dreaming... what it is we'd be willing to exchange our most valued possessions for. If you are like me, for many years my search for answers to those questions turned up naught. I knew exactly  what my talents were/are, I knew the things that made me happy but still I could find nothing with which my my spirit and soul connected, nothing that kindled a fire in my heart ......no passion that consumed me. And I felt lost.

I look back now and see that I was lost in a world created for me by others......a world of fulfilling obligations and expectations....living without authenticity, walking in the footprints left behind my others with no question as to whether those footprints fit mine or whether I could be making my own distinctive mark; never quite  understanding the value of self-direction. I had never been in touch with me....oh, yes, I was forever journaling and introspecting, but the truth is I had locked myself into a routine of protocol and observing the status-quo, subconsciously hoping that I was doing well enough that someone would notice and reward me. And even my propensity to rebel was obviously not for me sufficient a signal of the need for self direction.  Until I happened upon the field of personal development and the man I consider its most worthy proponent, Jim Rohn. Then it was that I found that which now constantly consumes me, that which gets me out of bed at night, that which has me wanting to create change.....growth and development - not just in me, but in others; that which has taught me not to see each man as he is, but as he can become; yes, that which now inspires my personal mantra "I owe it to myself to see what's possible." I have found my pearl  of great price.

For me, personal development is both a product and a process. As a product I 'sell' it to anyone who will take the time to listen. It's been beautifully crafted into the lessons for my students, lovingly stirred into the life lessons I pass on to my children, my friends and my colleagues. As a process, it is my daily challenge. It has taught me that the fight is its own reward, that the journey is far more important than the destination, that it is who we become as we are 'getting where we're getting to' that is of infinite value.   I don't know what your passions are. I don't even know where you are along the journey in that search. But there is one thing I know with a measure of certainty. You will never find what it is that defines you, what music your soul dances to, where your passions lie by living according to rules to which your spirit, your being, have given no permission. You must be in a place of authenticity, of self-direction. But let me allow the master philosopher, Jim Rohn, to say it for me here: "Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions."

Personal development inspired my journey of intentional living. It taught me the value of awareness, discipline and measurement in creating personal change; It taught me the importance of carefully choosing my associates in order to achieve my goals. The lessons are as tremendous as they are endless. And in the same way, we can  be intentional about finding the passions that lead to our purpose. Do not be constrained by the opinions, desires, rules of others, get in with YOU.....answer the call of your heart and I guarantee that before too long you'll find that place of passion and purpose.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Being Happily Discontented

  "Live your life each day  as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance towards the summit  keeps the goal in mind, But...