Wednesday 2 July 2014

Being Positively In the Moment

I am smiling at close of day, whereas I was despondent at its beginning. Truly, when we understand the importance of our thoughts in determining the quality of our day (and consequently the trajectory of your life), we make a colossal effort to ensure positive, wholesome, uplifting thoughts.

Today I was determined to ensure that I did not become overwhelmed by my circumstances. I was resolute in treating situation/circumstance as opportunities for growth. I determined that I would be fully present in my day, fully aware of what was going on around as well as within me. I made my mind up to embrace it, to allow my thoughts to happen, to face my fears, confront my ghosts and deal with them head on...acknowledging their reality...yet accepting that I can exist in but one moment at a time and therefore there was no need to control anything but that one moment. I was determined to think my way through my challenges...

So at end of day, I am grateful because ....I was present, I was aware, I was focused, I was hopeful, I was friendly, I was frank, I was open, and most importantly....I was deliberate. And so, right now I am reaping the fruits of intentional gratitude, intentional positive thinking, intentional awareness. Without a doubt at close of day, the lessons have been many and tremendous. I've learnt that instead of wishing my circumstances away, there is much greater value in embracing them, in giving thanks through each difficulty, in asking 'what can I glean, what lessons might I learn?' Indeed I have learnt that the gains from learning the art of being present while maintaining positive thoughts are tremendous...Indeed it is a major ticket to becoming stronger, wiser, better.

Yes, my day was difficult. The circumstances of my life converged and seemed at times to be in cruel collusion against me. But I pulled on the age-old philosophy of my mentor...."Don't just get through the day, get from the day!" And how better to get from the day than through deliberate presence and intentional positive thinking? For me it meant the difference between smiling or complaining at end of day, but more importantly, it will tell for how my life ends up a few years from today. Life accumulates....moment by moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Being Happily Discontented

  "Live your life each day  as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance towards the summit  keeps the goal in mind, But...